dinsdag 17 maart 2009

Chapter 8 Adventures Everywhere!






Adventures everywhere!

Watch out for slippy bath tubs :S You may have to spend some time at mid night in an emergency room in the children's hospital =D

Other things worth telling you:

- Kindra graduates in May! This will be a great ceremony including black dresses and square shaped hats (you know? :D)
- After two weeks my supervisor will go back to Europe, Germany. I'm not happy about that, but it is great how he taught me a lot of things. Time is flying at the internship. All kind of experiments with a one cell parasite. Amazing. The more you see, the less you know. Sometimes I have to go to the lab at night. To the cold room. The amazing but deadly dangerous Leishmania mexicana parasites are there then waiting for me to put them in the nicely warm shaker-incubator.
- Each morning I race down the hill to river, along the river to the so-called Aerial Tram. Dutch: kabelbaan. Dutch English: cable thingie. So then I ascend into the West Campus of the Oregon Health and Science University. The picture above with me hanging on the PSU sign is misleading.
- Misleading? Actually not. I stay at the PSU campus, and coming monday I will start training with the PSU soccer team. I think they still play pilgrim father's style soccer. But time has changed.
- 8 inches of fresh snow at Mount Bachelor.
- In 1980 the volcano erupted near Portland. The top of Mount Helen disappeared. The volcano is still active, I can see it when I ascend in the aerial tram. Beautiful! The Netherlands is really flat.
- Portland has more kind of beers than Holland and Belgium together. It is pretty common that bars make their own beer. Portland is together with Washington the center of commercial hop production. I have seen the fields with the rackets where hop is being grown. I think more people here really know what beer is about: first the malt, then the yeast and finally the hop. Ever heard of an International Bitterness Unit (IBU)?

Cheers,

Greetings to you all
K&S

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi there!

    Wonderful occasion to show K's tatoo! Be careful with beer and cable thingies!

    Arend

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Haha Kindra you look really small in the last picture!! :-D Hope you're better now. xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Volgers