woensdag 18 februari 2009

Chapter 3

Let's write this thingie in English. It is now 18 February. I have been here for 6 days. And it has been great. GREAT. Too great to spend time on writing a blog actually. So why are you writing it now you might be asking. Smart question. Go ahead.

I am living on the campus of Portland State. "Portland State", that is a phrase someone can be proud of saying. The bold way of saying Portland State University or PSU. I have biked up the hill to the Oregon Health and Science University, OHSU, twice now. Those two times have been a real work out. Especially the first time, when I tried to climb the hill with an almost flat tyre. A guy at the Shell gas station helped me inflate it. I'm so thankful for this great bike with the cute pink ringing thingie on it, from Kindra! So the first time I met Dr. Landfear and his colleagues I must have appeared a little reddish. But I don't care. It was a good early morning work out and an awesome sight seeing, as you can see Mount Hood in the distance, the Willamette (to be pronounced with an Indian accent) river curling through portland, and all the bridges over it. With the cars and trucks. The atmosphere is definitely not Dutch. It is Portland, Oregon atmosphere. Seen through pink glasses of Samuël who is in love with Kindra.

The Landfear Laboratory. Of course all the top research I am doing is top secret. I have a great place to work. I will tell you all about it. Sooner or later. When I turn up the blinds, I have a splendid view of the top of the hill laying next to a national parc. And a glimpse of decent OHSU architecture. My workplace is all set up. I trashed about 60 bottles with old solutions in it. I started to grow my own sweet Leishmania mexicana parasites. This is really all I can tell. Already too much maybe. I hope you won't burn after reading. 

Shopping is great. After I leave the sixth floor, I step up the bike with the big tyres and I race down the hill with 50 miles an hour, chasing cars and making pictures of a late afternoon sun glow over Mount hood. I try to ignore as much as possible the ten thousand stop signs on the way down 6th street. If you never had a look at an American street map, you should, or you should remember the Boogie Woogie. At each intersection is a stop sign. Yes there is, not even kidding. Whatever. Finally I do stop before I arrive at "Portland State", at the Safeway. A huge brother of the Dutch Appie or High Fly. Takes me some time, since I am a little indecisive. When I step outside I see two things: a beggar on the street and a Christian Science Reading Centre. Either go talk with the beggar or go read about how prayer and faith keep you healthy. 

Kindra and I are happy. We can finally be really together outside of holidays, and it is great. 

We are just blessed so much, and we praise Jesus for that, each and every day. We live by love and we live by faith. (not by bread alone)

Hey dude what's up. 

~to be continued

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Yes you should tell more about your top secret research! :-) And yay, cycling up (and down) the hills is so great. I miss that so much, did it lots in Newcastle. So you won't need to go to the gym and can afford to eat all you want. ;-) Say hello to Kindra from me. :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Oh hey Sam and Kindra! Sounds so great all the things you are doing! Especially growing the Leishmania-things, I'm soo jealous ;)
    I'm very happy for you guys, and you're right: finally 'normal' time to spend together, lucky couple (better: blessed couple!!). Good to also read you're to thankful for all this grace.
    Enjoy even more if that's possible :)!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Volgers